7.30.2013

Meatless Munch: Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

I love salad.
I eat at least one salad a day.
I like them loaded with veggies and occasionally fruit.



I don't like buying salad dressing because often they have a lot of sugar or fat and to me- not worth the extra calories.
I prefer food that makes me full.




I had a few quarts of strawberries so I decided to try my hand at some homemade dressing.
Best. Idea. Ever.

Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
8 ripe strawberries
Balsamic vinegar - 1-2 T (to taste)
Honey 1/2 - 1 T
Cracked pepper
Salt

I put the strawberries (stems and all) into a mini blender.



I added the balsamic and blended until they were liquefied. 
I taste tested to see if it had the right taste I was looking for and also added a little water to make it more liquid-y if need be.

Once it was done, I poured it into a dish and stirred in some honey to sweeten it slightly. 


I also stirred in a little cracked black pepper and salt to taste.

The results were deliciouso!


Maybe the best salad I ever created- mixed greens and spinach, cucumber, heirloom tomatoes, this dressing and a sprinkling of fresh Parmesan. Summer in a bowl!

This week I'm considering a blueberry basil balsamic? We shall see...

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks great! I will have to try this out. I also make my own salad dressing, always. I can't remember the last time I bought any. One of my favorites: olive oil, lemon juice, honey, poppy seeds, and plain yoghurt. I put it on top of a spinach/mixed green salad with strawberries, blueberries, a few walnut pieces, and a sprinkling of feta or gorganzola. It is muy delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fabulous Deena! I love making my own too, but I'm sort of addicted to this Annie's Sesame Ginger dressing I purchased on sale recently. If I can figure out an asian dressing I'll never buy again!

      Delete