6.28.2013

Meatless Munch: TGIF Night Curry

Sometimes I just want something quick and delicious and flavorful.
I keep a lot of veggies around, especially this time of year.
I like coming up with something different to use all my CSA veggies for.

My friend just gave me a couple of cans of coconut milk and I had a couple zucchini lying around so I thought...hmmm...

What can I make with this?

Since it's the end of the week and we all deserve something that tastes more decadent than we probably need and something easy, delicious and healthy.... 
TGIF NIGHT CURRY. 




Here's what you need for the veggies:

Whatever you want.
No really- I always use onion, garlic and peppers of some sort, but then you can add whatever you like.

In my mix this time:

2 stalks of Spring Garlic, chopped
5 Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
1 small Yellow Squash, sliced
1 bunch of Asparagus, chopped (about 12-15 stalks)
1/4 cup Red Onion, sliced

I sauteed those veggies up in about 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil and a little water.



While those are going, you can work on the sauce. 

I love this simple recipe from Andy at Can You Stay for Dinner:

1/2 cup light coconut milk (I used full fat coconut milk from a can because that is what I  had. Obviously the light coconut milk makes it less calories and fat content)2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low sodium)1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar1 tablespoons brown sugar1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (I use regular sesame oil...I assume it's the same as toasted?)1/2 teaspoons curry powder (yeah I don't measure and I like curry so I just dump some in and taste test)1 clove garlic, minced (again- no measuring- usually 2 heaping spoonfuls of the minced kind out of the jar if I don't have fresh)1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce (more Sriracha. ALWAYS)2 teaspoons cornstarch 

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together. Get it to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer until it thickens up- just takes a couple minutes.
You virtually cannot screw up this recipe. It's so good and easy to flavor to the level you want.



While that is simmering and my veggies are sauteeing, I take a veggie peeler and peel my zucchini into strips or ribbon 'noodle's if you will. This is my latest obsession.



You can make brown rice as your base, but I love using a veggie base to save on calories and carbs- plus you can eat an entire zucchini for about 50 calories and you WILL be full. Veggies for the win!

Once your veggies are to tenderness you like and your sauce is ready, turn off the heat to everything. Pour the sauce over your veggies and mix until coated.

Load up your zucchini noodles with a little or a lot. For me- this made 2 hefty servings over half a noodled zucchini. If I was eating this over brown rice - I'd probably make this into 4 servings with a cup of brown rice cooked and divided evenly.

Then I topped it with a sliced tomato just to take a fancy picture.


1. 2. 3. 4.
Curry FTW.

PS. Then you should make these for dessert. For real. I'm obsessed.

Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment