7.02.2013

Connecting over Coffee (NaBloPoMo #2)

In an effort to be more intentional about my writing and to really work on strengthening my skills, I'm participating in Blogher's NaBloPoMo for July.
The theme is CONNECT. 
Everyday, I'm going to write based on the prompts and share it here and on Blogher. 
I would love to hear any and all feedback from you!

I love meeting friends for coffee.
I have at least two coffee dates a week almost every week, usually before work.
I meet friends for other things too: workouts, walks, cocktails,dinner and sometimes just dessert.
But something about conversations over coffee is just the best. 



I don't know if it is the newness of the day or the stimulation of the caffeine, but it seems the best conversations and debates are had over coffee in the wee hours of the morning.

A year or so ago, I started a girls coffee date on Friday mornings at 5:30 AM which went on my Google calendar as 'Bible and Breakfast.' The intention was for a group of girls to get together and talk through the devotions we had been reading that week and what stuck out to each of us in the scripture. It was a chance to share, learn and spend time in the Word together. Our conversations were insightful and real. Oftentimes, the topics led us to share small anecdotes about our day-to-day lives. The kind of stuff you can't always share during the meet and greet at church or in a group full of husbands and significant others. We all went to church and small group together, but not all of us spent time outside of church activities together. This time connecting together really bonded us. I'm happy to call these ladies some of my best friends.  

But. 5:30 AM? Seem early? It was. Originally, the time was to accommodate the teachers in the group who had to be to work early, and the rest of us would show up in pajamas before going home to shower. After a few months and the dark, cold days of winter set in, it became apparent meeting that early was less fruitful when we were all walking zombies. Sleep took priority and 'Bible & Breakfast' took a break.

And you know what? I really missed it.

Connecting over coffee had become this special time for me.
It had become a time to update each other on the comings and goings of each others lives, both the mundane and the unexpected. I got to know each of my friends just a little bit better. I found out who needed prayer and what for. I heard about who's job was going well and who's wasn't. As a group, we talked about the Sunday sermon, our community and how we felt about the effectiveness of our small groups. We shared funny stories and stressful moments that just tend to come out when you are in the company of  people that care about you.
Sometimes we had conversations about the devotion that required emails later in the day and more discussion the next week.
Sometimes we never cracked our Bibles or notebooks and just enjoyed a hot drink, smiles and laughter.

Just a month ago, one of my friends said, 'You want to start doing coffee again? I really miss it.'
I admitted, 'Me too. I miss you guys.'
And with a couple texts and some group scheduling, we started back up.

It's not always on Fridays and it's not always when the sun is first peeking over the horizon.
It's not every week and it's not always at the same place.


However, it is almost always coffee...
And, more than anything, it is always connection. 



2 comments:

  1. There IS something about coffee that sparks conversations. I totally agree. And I love that you make it a priority to connect with people. I think it's so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often say I'd love to be retired because then I could just hang out all day and have coffee dates with my girlfriends. :)

      Delete