4.16.2013

Meatless Munch: Homemade Larabars (Nicbars- 2 Variations)

Last week I posted this picture on Instagram and Facebook:


I got quite a few requests for a recipe and because I love ya'll so much- I am delivering on that request. :)

I got inspired originally by this post from Treehouseohm on Instagram a few weeks ago:


I didn't want to buy anything and figured I could use up what I had lying around to make something similar.
And since I didn't think this would actually turn out into anything good...I didn't take any pictures.

Lesson learned.
I made a second variation just so I could capture it in film. :)

Homemade Nicbars
Makes 8

20 seedless dates 
1/3 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup pepitas
2 tbsp peanut butter (I used extra crunchy because that is what I had on hand)
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Throw all this in a Ninja or a blender until crumbly.
Dump in a bowl and add some vanilla (about 1-2 tsp) and top with whatever other seasoning you like.I used a little cinnamon and splenda mix that I keep around for my toast. 




Then I pressed them into a small pyrex dish and froze them until firm- an hour or two.
Then I cut into 8 squares and put into baggies for easy lunch packing.



And at 136 calories they are the perfect pairing with a piece of fruit.

Nutty Nicbar

15 seedless dates
1 cup almonds (grind these first)
1/3 cup cranberries
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp honey

I didn't add any extra sweetness to these babies. Just pressed into a pan and froze.
These also serve 8 at 170 calories each. They are a little thicker due to the extra almonds. 

These definitely are reminiscent of a Larabar- maybe not as moist, but same idea- a few whole food ingredients.
What I love about this type of snack is you can change it up with whatever you have on hand.

If you try to create your own, I'd love to hear how you made your own creation.


2 comments:

  1. YUM. I am totally making these. P.S. I miss your social media presence, but I am super proud of your fast! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! It has been a little easier than I thought. Except for today. When I was home not feeling well and watched a LOT of TV. :(

      Delete