3.25.2013

Meatless Munch: Curry Carrot Pumpkin Soup

Recently, I found an excellent deal on some fairly local, organic carrots.

At $6 for 5 lbs of carrots...who can pass that up?
One bite into these crunchy, delicious, flavorful carrots and you'll never buy the bag of 'baby carrots' again.



However- what does one do with 5 lbs of carrots??

I made Carrot Cake Oatmeal (recipe here)


Vegan Carrot Loaf (recipe here):

Of which I ate half in one day because it was so good
And this soup:


Curry Carrot Pumpkin Soup
(inspired by Mama Pea's Cashew Carrot Ginger Soup & a can of pumpkin I found in my cupboard)


6 carrots
1/2 can of pumpkin
1 cup of non-dairy milk 
1/4 cup cashews
2 cups veggie stock
1 inch of fresh ginger
1 tblsp garlic
1 1/2 tblsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

First, clean and chop your carrots into 2 inch pieces.



I added some water (maybe half a cup to a cup) with my carrots in a stock pot with a lid on and let them cook until the water was gone and the carrots could be pierced with a fork. Just keep an eye on them and add more water if needed.


While the carrots are cooking, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or your Ninja.


When the carrots are done, add them into the Ninja as well and pulse a few times. I kept mine slightly chunky mostly because I like the texture. Put all ingredients back into the stockpot to cook. 

Then add about 1/2 a can of pumpkin. I happen to have this in my cupboard leftover from fall baking.


Give it all a good stir and continue to simmer on low until all of it is fully warm and smells flavorful.


I served mine up with cracked pepper on top and a side of avocado toast.
It was fantastic, I love the strong curry and ginger flavors with the cooked carrots.
A 'good for any season' type of soup in my opinion.


Now that spring still hasn't 'sprung'- what warm dishes are you enjoying? How do you like to cook carrots?

No comments:

Post a Comment