1.13.2013

Sunday 7: Best of 2012

I swear this is my last post on 2012.

But man... it was quite the year.

I moved downtown, ran a marathon, got engaged...so many firsts!

I usually use Sunday Seven to catch you up on my happenings from the week, what I read on the internet, what's happening in the world- real and virtual and whatever things were on my 'it' list.



This week, I'm giving you my 'it' list for all of 2012. Last January, I did a post on the Best of 2011 and I think it's going to start being an annual thing.

So without further adieu, here is a little special Sunday Seven just for you:

1. BEST TRIP
I had a great time in Nashville with my grandma, spending time in Frederick seeing T's stomping grounds, and hanging out in KCMO-  but I think its obvious what my favorite weekend was....
Minneapolis!!

I ran my first marathon...

And I got engaged to the love of my life!!

It was an amazing way to celebrate 3 wonderful years together!
You can read more about our trips in posts here and here.
 
 
2. BEST CONCERT
We went to a lot of awesome shows this year, none quite as big as last year- but still some really awesome shows.
I think my favorite has to got to be Greg Laswell and Ingrid Michaelson.
 
It was a great summer date night.

We've seen Greg before, but this is the first time we've seen Ingrid Michaelson. And the show was so great.
 
Read about all our concerts here:
 
3. BEST BOOK
There were a couple books I read this year that had a profound impact on me.
If you haven't read The Power of Habit  by Charles Duhigg- you are missing out. Seriously.
This book changed my life.
 
 
By understanding the habit loop- cue-> routine -> reward- I learned how I can create new habits and also how to quit old ones.
I normally hate these kinds of books (self-help), but I found the psychiatry and sociology behind it fascinating. Especially the way we think and how being told we 'can't' do something just makes us want to do it more. I had so many light bulbs going off when reading this book.
 
Also, I wrote an entire blog post about Confessions of an Amateur Believer. A book I would also highly recommend.
And...if you want to see what I'm reading- you can friend me on Goodreads.
 
4. BEST ALBUM
Hands down.
 
 
I love every song. I sing along LOUDLY in the car.
We listened to this album our entire trip up to Minnesota.
Even now, I can't stop listening.
 
5. BEST RACE
This is also pretty much a no brainer.
My first marathon!!
 
I couldn't be more proud of that moment. Seriously. It took a lot of hard work and it was super rewarding to say I worked really hard for something and succeeded.
Every time I see this picture I almost cry all over again!
I can say with 100% certainty- this is not my last race.

Read about the other races I ran here.

6. BEST SONG
In my post about music, I talked a lot about the Imagine Dragons show.
My favorite song they played is called, 'It's Time.'

Here are the lyrics:

So this is what you meant
When you said that you were spent
And now it's time to build from the bottom of the pit
Right to the top
Don't hold back
Packing my bags and giving the academy a rain check

I don't ever wanna let you down
I don't ever wanna leave this town
'Cause after all
This city never sleeps at night

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

So this is where you fell
And I am left to sail
The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell
Right to the top
Don't look back
Turning the rags and giving the commodities a rain check

I don't ever wanna let you down
I don't ever wanna leave this town
'Cause after all
This city never sleeps at night

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

This road never looked so lonely
This house doesn't burn down slowly
To ashes, to ashes

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

 
It was just getting big right before I went to Nashville.
I listened to this song on repeat before my race.
I've never felt so pumped up.
It's my new anthem.
 
Favorite line?
I don't ever wanna let you down
I don't ever wanna leave this town
 
The band is actually from Vegas and he's singing about his city, but when I sing it- I'm singing about mine. :)
 
7. BEST VERSE
I don't think it's heresy to say there is a best verse, but I did have a verse that spoke to me this year:
 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
-Hebrews 12:1
 
I don't know if it's possible to one verse apply to your life...I think verses have seasons for each and every one of us...but if there was to be just one for me- this might just be it.
 
 
So there you have it, my 'Best of' for 2012. What is yours?
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment