1.14.2013

Meatless Munch: 'Egg'- less Salad

I love egg salad.

The mustard.
I prefer Grey Poupon or something with a little kick.

The mayo.
Rich, creamy and delicious.

The eggs.
Yum.
I just really love eggs.

 BUT, in an effort to eat less meat and more vegan/whole foods, I'm trying to find ways to make my favorites without them.

Enter....tofu.


Honestly- I'm not a huge fan of tofu except when it's mixed in Asian foods.
But, when it's drained and chopped up- instantly the consistency and taste of egg whites. Pretty amazing.



Tofu is a funky thing though.
It's packed in water and you have to press it to get the moisture out.
I don't have a press so a few paper towels and heavy books will do.


See? Just like egg whites. I chopped it into little cubes.


Then I added some various things to make it taste just the way I like it.



Give it a good stir!


Ta-da!
Egg Salad! Without the egg.

Now you can enjoy it a number of tasty ways:



On some garlic focaccia bread with tomato, spinach and fresh ground black pepper.
Pair it with some veggies and hummus for a tasty lunch.

 
 
On some sprouted grain bread with shredded carrots. Add another slice of sprouted grain and top with avocado- side of cherry tomatoes and hummus. 

 
 
Atop a pile of mixed baby greens with cucumber, cherry tomato and carrot shreds. Side with a baked sweet potato and sauteed shaved Brussels sprouts. YUM.
 


'Egg'-less Salad
Inspired by The Gateway Market Tofu Egg Salad

1 block tofu, drained and chopped
1/4 c Veganaise (or mayo of your choice)
1/8 c Dijon mustard (I like a lot)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp minced garlic (I also like a lot of this)
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: pickle relish & nutritional yeast depending on what kind of flavor you are looking for

 
Do you like eggs? Egg salad? How about tofu?
 
Eggs are the hardest thing for me to give up when I'm eating vegan- I love them! But tofu isn't so bad either and it's really easy to cook with because it absorbs the flavor of whatever you add to it.
 
 
Happy Meatless Monday!!
 


1 comment:

  1. I dunno if I could do tofu yet..but that looks pretty tasty! Keep posting more recipes - I'm gonna need them! :)

    ReplyDelete