2.01.2012

It's not easy being Green...& other Resolution updates

In my post about New Year's resolutions, I mentioned eating more GREEN.
For me- that means focusing on eating mostly fruits and vegetables, minimal dairy and sugar, and appropriate portions.

I started off January trying out a Green detox smoothie from Whole living.

It contains kale, romaine, parsley, ginger plus a little pineapple and mango.

I threw it all in the Ninja and blended away.

It ended up like this. Liquefied salad.

It wasn't too bad. It actually had really good flavor, but the texture was a little too salad-like for me for breakfast.

So I changed it up a little.
I added a banana to smooth it out and also a little protein powder.

Plus any other old fruit I have around - in this case blueberries.
It really smooths out the texture and provides a little extra protein (powder) and carbs (banana and other fruit) to balance out my breakfast.

I've been eating a lot of salads and sauteed veggies for lunches and dinners.

But I've definitely had slip ups.
There have been candy issues.
Cookie issues.

Popcorn issues.
Pastry issues.

Oh and the scones!! Don't even get me started...

I know that I feel the best when I'm eating whole foods consisting of lots of green vegetables and fresh fruit. But for whatever reason I have trouble wrapping my head around that sometimes.

On Twitter, I found Whole9life. It's a program based on the concept of the Paleo diet- if you can't hunt or gather it you aren't eating it.
I read up on all their articles and thought 'that's what I need to do! cut out grains, beans, corn and ALL dairy.'
But what would I eat? I mean, I don't eat meat. And are beans really that bad for you?

I know it's not easy to eat green all the time.
Everyone deserves the occasional treat!
But I think I do pretty good.
So- enough with all the different diets and cutting out more foods.
I'm sticking to mostly fruits and vegetables, no meat except the occasional seafood and avoid those foods that make me not feel good (white carbs and too many sweets).

Training for a race requires a little more energy- especially when I'm doing long runs. Last time, I used supplements- energy chews and sports drinks- to help me refuel. This time around I'm going to go as natural as possible- dates and trail mix on long runs,waters and green smoothies to discover.

I've been keeping to my training schedule and I'm geared up to run my second race of the year on February 4th, The YMCA Red Flannel Run.

I've also been keeping up with my resolutions to read my bible everyday and write everyday.


Its nice to make some hot tea and wind down a little before bed. Writing for 10 minutes helps me gather my thoughts about the days events and clear my head for sleep.

Reading my Bible for 10 minutes a day has impacted me in ways I can't even describe. I feel closer to God. Verses stay with me and I find myself thinking of them when I'm feeling overwhelmed or confused. The Bible really is God-breathed and spending time meditating on it creates so much spiritual growth.

Some of my other resolutions need some work...
I'm still working on a budget as I've had some changes recently (new car!!) that change things up. I'm reassessing those financial goals and finding a reasonable solution.
Since it is tax time I've been working a lot. So I haven't really had control of my schedule. This week is month end and I'm scheduled 28 hours at the tax office. It's just impossible to do anything about that. I've had to skip a couple workouts and seeing family is practically impossible. I barely see  my dog!!

But it's just temporary.
Once tax season winds down, I'll be able to plan more family time and hobby time.
I'm looking forward to working on some knitting projects and hanging out with my family!

All in all, I'm happy with how I'm progressing with my resolutions. I'm making changes to my life that are positive, that make me happy and Even Me!!

“Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.”  —Benjamin Franklin


What's the status of your new year's resolutions? Have you done an assessment lately? Are you still on a track to success?



No comments:

Post a Comment