11.21.2011

Meatless Munch 2: Stuffed Acorn Squash

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Mandy sent me this recipe from Allrecipes for Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash.
I had an acorn squash from the CSA and honestly I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I've never cooked one before and I had no idea what it tasted like.
This recipe looked easy enough and if the squash was gross I could just eat the stuffing....

So I got started cutting my squash in half and scraping out the seeds.


Then I chopped up all my veggies to saute and got my spices ready.


This recipe was pretty easy to follow. You saute the veggies and then add the garbanzo beans and veggies and cook until veggies are done.

Then you add the couscous and veggie broth and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is fully cooked.

At this point my squash halves were cooked. I pulled them out of the oven and covered them with some melted vegan butter and brown sugar Splenda mix.

Then I stuffed the squash with the filling and got ready to eat!!

These were super delicious.
And there was stuffing leftover to eat alone as a side dish.
For the few steps and few ingredients, it looks super fancy and filled me up.
5 stars. Fo sho.

Description
Vegetables, garbanzos, raisins and couscous in a lovely Moroccan broth taste delicious inside butter and brown sugar-brushed acorn squash. You can experiment with different vegetables, or add diced chicken. Feel free to be creative with your amounts - I usually freestyle and end up with leftover stuffing mixture, which tastes great on its own the next day. For vegetarians, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Ingredients
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup uncooked couscous
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender. Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter. Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
Pour the chicken broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet, and turn off heat. Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.
Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 502


Dietary Fiber: 10.7g
Fat: 11.7g
Carbohydrates: 94.0g
Protein: 11.2g
Sodium: 824.9mg
Cholesterol: 10.1mg

No comments:

Post a Comment