8.15.2011

Sunday Seven 8-14-11

1. This article about biogas in Nepal was sent to me by a friend. I found this part especially interesting:

That leaves families with a $384 gap--and that's where things get interesting. Interest rates charged by the local banks are too high and require collateral. So we created microfinance institutions at the community level and established a revolving fund for the project that provides a soft loan at an interest rate of 8% (almost one-third of the general bank rates) with a duration of two years. The repayment rate is 99%.

It reminds me of a website I heard about where you can loan money to people in third world countries to help them start up their business...I can't remember the name of it....

2. Not sure if I've mentioned this blog before...but Rachel CRACKS me up. She gives it to you straight and I like that. This post about diet pills had me giggling.

3. This quote popped up in my planner one day this week and I really liked it:

Living well and beautifully and justly are all one thing
-Socrates

I think if you live a 'just' life, everything that is beautiful and well will reveal itself to you.
(Sunday 7 might get deep from time to time!)

4. Roseanne's Nuts is my new favorite show on TV. And that's saying a lot...because I don't watch a lot of TV.


Her new attitude about trying to live as organic as possible is interesting. Mostly, the banter between her and her boyfriend Johnny is unbelievably entertaining to me.

5. The Iowa State Fair started this week!!

If you've never been- you are missing out!! Food on a stick! Butter Cow! Sand sculptures! Art! Photography! Rides! Buckets of Cookies! And the best people watching money can buy!!

Since I'm an invalid these days I'm not sure I'll make it. And I'm extra bummed because I heard Red Velvet Funnelcake is all the rage this year. That's right RED VELVET FUNNELCAKE. It sounds just as amazing as cake batter ice cream. Which we all know was invented by God himself to make us happy.

6. Family Time. I had some major family events this weekend. My grandpa on my mom's side turned 75 and I had a family reunion on my dad's side. It was great to spend time with family and see some family that I hadn't seen in years.

7. Back to School. A lot of kids around Des Moines and the suburbs are heading back to school. I LOVE back to school time. Something about it- the new notebooks, backpacks, autumn on it's way- just brings back great memories for me. I'm sort of jealous of the kids I know headed back to school. I was telling my niece the other day I'd give anything to be in 5th grade again. Instead I'll probably just stock up on 25-cent notebooks for no reason.... I like paper. It's weird.

What have you been up to this week? Got any weird obsession with school supplies?

No comments:

Post a Comment