7.24.2013

The Magic of Facebook (NaBloPoMo #17)

In an effort to be more intentional about my writing and to really work on strengthening my skills, I'm participating in Blogher's NaBloPoMo for July.
The theme is CONNECT. 
Everyday, I'm going to write based on the prompts and share it here and on Blogher. 

I would love to hear any and all feedback from you.

Facebook is a strange and crazy and cool invention.

A few years ago, I reconnected with a friend from high school, Jane.
We started chatting on Facebook via regular posts. 
I'd comment on her picture or she'd like my post.
Jane grew up here in Des Moines. After college, she ended up in San Francisco teaching at a private school.

One day, she posted something about people visiting her in San Francisco and I commented something about how I would love to visit.
She responded, 'You should do it!'

I thought about it for about 2 seconds, then I messaged her directly and said, 'What dates would work best for you?'

I booked a plane ticket and in October 2010, I flew out to San Francisco by myself to see someone I hadn't hung out with physically in nearly a decade.

It was my first solo plane trip.
It was my first visiting California.
It was the beginning of my wanderlust.


Me, San Fran, 2010

I had a fantastic time reconnecting with a dear friend. 
I got to see an amazing city (one I can't wait to visit again) and honestly, that entire trip changed my life. It was sort of the start of me finding 'me' again. 
I am so thankful for social media and the amazing adventures it has brought to my life.

Jane and I in Iowa City last year
And for my dear, sweet friend Jane. :)


Post in response to this prompt: Mark Zuckerberg has said about his site: "The thing that we are trying to do at Facebook is just help people connect and communicate more efficiently." Do you think he succeeded?

PS- I didn't like the next day's prompt so I skipped it. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great little post, Nicole! I often waffle between leaving FB and staying. There's that part of me that wants to go off the grid, not see the political rants, etc., but time and again, it's the few friends who live far away (like you!) that make me stay. I'm glad it has led you to experience new adventures and reconnect with old friends! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Deena! I have to take 'breaks' from it, but I love keeping up to date on the lives of people I don't get to see much in person. We miss you a lot but know you are having fun in Mexico. :)

      Delete