6.19.2013

Meatless Munch: Garlic Scape Pesto

The first fruits of summer are upon us.


Chock full of strong flavor with that green crispness- Garlic Scapes.

If you are not familiar with Garlic Scapes- here is some info I learned on the interwebs:

- They are the tops of the garlic plants that are harvested just as they start to curl.
- If left to their own devices- the ends of garlic scapes will turn into tiny bulbs to be replanted.
- The longer and curlier they are, the 'hotter' they are and more cooking they require


 So what do you do with these cool looking green things?
- Chop them up finely and use as you would green onion
- Saute them with other veggies as you would regular garlic
- Make this delicious pesto!!


When I was at the market on Saturday, I was eyeing the scapes at the Grade A Garden stand. The girl working the stand said: 'If you want to buy some garlic scapes, you need to try this pesto I made.'
So she handed me a pita chip topped with green slime and I was in heaven.

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I love garlic.
I pretty much never measure it any recipe because I always add extra.
Creating a  pesto with garlic as the base? GENIUS.

After trying another sample (hey she offered!), I was sold. I scanned the recipe and quickly realized I had all the ingredients so I promptly purchased 2 bundles and set off home to make some lunch.

If you've never made pesto before, it's pretty much the easiest thing ever. Put your ingredients in a blender or food processor and go.



Then find something to dip in it. Pronto.

Grade A Gardens Garlic Scape Pesto

1 1/2 c finely chopped garlic scapes
3/4 c olive oil
1/2 c finely grated parmesan 
1/3 c walnuts
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Put all ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped and mixed. Season with salt and pepper.

My first attempt turned out just as good as the kind I sampled at the market!


Then I made the best lunch ever.

Uncle Wendell's Roasted Garlic Focaccia, toasted in the oven, then smothered with pesto on both sides.
Coyote Run Farm Fresh Egg, fried and stuffed between the bread. Side of local, organic, baby heirloom tomatoes.


A meal that was locally sourced.
A meal that tastes like summer.

And then, just because I couldn't resist...I cut off another hunk of bread to dip in that pesto.
Garliciousness.

How do you feel about garlic? I find most either love or hate it. 
Have you cooked with garlic scapes before? I'd love to hear what dishes you've used them in!

2 comments:

  1. garliciousness indeed! i just finally am catching up with your blog, and i'm so thankful that you are so open and honest on here. (not just about garlic!) ha. :) that todd guy is lucky. wish we lived closer together, i would have you be my trainer, and i would maybe even wake up early to have coffee and bible time. :) and i am a night owl for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb! So glad you stopped by and commented. I love this place on the interwebs where I can say whatever I want. That is what having your own blog is all about yes? :) Let's plan a coffee date at Influence!

      Delete