11.02.2012

Five Minute Friday: Roots


 


TGIF Friends!

Earlier this week, I was devouring the my friend Alia's 31 day series when I ran acroos her 5-Minute Friday post.

Five Minute Friday

So I checked out the details over at Lisa-Jo Baker's blog- http://Tales from a Gypsy Mama and here we are.

I like the concept of just free writing something for 5 full minutes and seeing what you get. May be good. May be bad.
Most likely will have bad spelling and grammatical errors (I'm apologizing ahead of time).

Timer's ready....Today's word is 'roots.'

Oddly enough, the first thing I thought of when I heard this word was a Sepultura song- 'Bloody Roots'. If you don't know who Sepultura is- well, they are a Brazilian metal band from the 80's. And how do I know this?
Once upon a time I was a wanna be drum-player (still want to learn by the way) who listened only to the angriest, heaviest metal music you could find.
If you know me now, you probably have a hard time recognizing that person in the person I am today.
But maybe this whole memory is relevant.
That angry girl who loved death metal and hung with the boys is the same girl who realized she needed a change and took steps to make her life different.
It's the same girl who put herself through college, a marriage, a divorce, recovery and kept her resilience. Kept her hope. Found love.
Maybe those times of anger and dark days just prepared her for what was to lie ahead.
Maybe my 'roots' are just a series of events that led me to where I am today.
I envision the things I've experienced inmy life building on one another to form the strong foundation of where I stand today.
I'm firmly grounded.
My roots are deep in the earth.
They've found fertile and rich soil in the grace of Jesus, the love of a man and the hope of a bright future.

What does the word 'roots' signify to you?
Link up here

15 comments:

  1. wow! loved this. http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome spin on Roots. I enjoyed seeing how change kept your roots firm and made you a stronger person.

    Visiting from Five Minute Friday. I hope you have a great day!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It's a great topic. I love that I linked up with this series!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it wonderful to look back unashamed at the people we've been when we're now firmly rooted in the grace of God?
    This is such a lovely piece. I'm so glad you found the FMF community and joined us. Visiting from down the block!
    Blessings,
    Felecia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felecia- you are correct- grace is a wonderful thing! I can move on and let those things of the past go. Thank you for reading and commenting- glad to be joining the group!

      Delete
  4. Roots aren't static, they are ever growing. If they didn't grow and change, the plant would die. We are who we were. Words my Aunt used to tell me. I think it is so true. Everything that happens before, leads us to where we are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took the thoughts right of my head Lynda. I like the idea of maybe starting out in a pot...and at one point, those roots of mine needed more space to spread- so I had to get a new and different- much BIGGER pot. :)

      Delete
  5. WoW! what a back ground! ... and the desire still lives to play the drum, good for you. With the roots firmly planted in the Grace of Jesus I'm sure the drum sounds will ring a tune that will still be loud, but one that feels good!

    Nice visiting you from 5 Minute Friday!
    God Bless, Deanna
    @ http:theheartshunger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna- maybe someday I'll get musical. :)

      Delete
  6. Terra Firma. Strong Ground. These Latin words came to me after reading your post. It is so clear to me that you are deeply rooted in this Terra Firma of God!
    P.S.
    Glad you found your way to 5 minute friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula- that is the perfect word...brings to mind images of clay, earthy, ancestral strongholds. Thanks for reading my post- what an AWESOME community. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the shout out and I'm so glad you came right over and joined in. I love my Friday's with Lisa Jo like Whoa! She and the whole community are amazing. I was thinking you were young, that or you age really really well. You've lived a long life in your 28 years and it is in those series of events that we can reflect and see the shaping, the pruning, the planting deepness of God's work. So glad to learn a bit more about you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed by all the comment love!! It's so great to read how everyone interpreted this term. Now I have so much more to say about roots- so much imagery of trees/vines/branches in the bible.
      I'll be 30 in the spring- I got lucky with good skin (and quitting smoking at a young age!).
      I HAVE seen myself change and grow through the ups and downs. Others have too. I'm glad you could learn a little more about me. I like this online courting friendship we are starting. HA!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad Denise. I loved your heartfelt prayer today too- reaching out for the roots of the Lord to hold you firm. Saying a prayer for you!

    ReplyDelete