12.23.2011

Words to Live By

I was cleaning out my inbox this morning and I found some various quotes and poems I've been meaning to post.
You see, I have this bad habit of emailing myself stuff only for it to be pushed to the bottom of the pile....
Well, 'No More!' I say!!
Enjoy these little tidbits. :)



‘One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.’
-Virginia Woolf

I had this quote labeled as 'This is my mantra.' That should explain everything. 

‘We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.’
-Charles Kingsley

The older I get, the more I find this to be true. It's all those little things that make life great. I try to see the world with more child-like enthusiasm- it makes for a much more contented me. 

“My ideas usually come not at my desk writing but in the midst of living.”
-Anais Nin

Often I think- 'Oh I should write about that!' If it were my choice, I would be able to drop whatever I'm doing whenever I needed to empty my head of thoughts.

“Chance can allow you to accomplish a goal every once in a while, but consistent achievement happens only if you love what you are doing.”
- Bart Conner

This quote reminds me to stay focused on my goals and also to only create create goals whose outcome is important to me. 

Great music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and leaves the memory with difficulty. Magical music never leaves the memory.
-Thomas Beecham

I LOVE music. I love the way I can be transported to a time, a place, a feeling. Music is so powerful.

The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

 ~ Rumi ~  (The Essential Rumi, versions by Coleman Barks) 

I think this poem is a great reminder to own all your feelings, even if they're negative. Allow yourself to feel however you need to feel and then move on. Lesson learned.

Do you have any favorite quotes? What about them makes them your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment