12.11.2011

Meatless Munch 4: Apple, Leek and Butternut Squash Gratin

This was the most unusual recipe I found, but it turned out really tasty.

I found the recipe on Whole Living. Which I believe is a Martha Stewart Magazine...
anyway, it was super easy and super delicious.

First, I had to chop cook the leeks and get them simmering with sherry cooking wine and sage.


I had never really worked with leeks before but the are basically giant scallions.


While those were simmering I cut up my squash and layered it in a glass casserole dish.

Then I layered in the cooked leeks and topped with sliced apples.


I baked this for 45 minutes and then pulled it out and topped with Parmesan cheese (if you want to make this vegan you could leave off the cheese but it adds the right flavor to tie it all together).

And this was the finished product:



Doesn't it look especially awesome when I Instagram'd it?

I took this dish to my grandparents for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it! It's definitely something I'd make again. You could serve it atop some couscous and make it a meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment