9.08.2011

Plants: It's What's for Dinner

It's day 4 of my new vegan diet.
As of Sunday night, no morsel of meat, egg, yogurt or milk has passed my lips.
And so far I'm feeling pretty good!!

Going vegetarian/vegan has been on my Life List for awhile.
But recently, 3 things made me decide to put it into action pronto:

1. My friend Jason. He's been a vegetarian for a long time but just went vegan in January. His intent was to try it out for a few weeks to see if he liked it. He's never gone back. His energy level is up, his weight is down and he feels fantastic. Just watching him change and get more fit was inspiration to me. Also, he recently was able to convince his wife (carnivore) and kids to give it a try.

2. Forks over Knives. Watching this movie really solidified the decision for me. The evidence linking high intake of animal-based products and cancer is just too convincing to ignore. If you haven't seen this movie- watch it. If you have Netflix, it's free streaming.

3. Personal Choice. Between things you hear on the news about salmonella and e.coli poisoning and what's happening in meat packing plants, I'd been considering giving up carnivorism for awhile. I want to be the healthiest I can be and I believe going to a plant-based diet is the best thing I can do for my body.

That being said....it's not like I'm never going to eat meat or a piece of cheese again.
At this point, I'm giving veganism a go for 21 days. Jason showed me the PCRM 21 Day Kickstart to Veganism.  This website gives you recipes, shopping lists and daily tips to help you on your way to a plant-based lifestyle.

And if you think that there's not a lot of options to eat as a vegan, you are wrong.
Here are some of the things I've been eating.

Oatmeal with soy milk and banana. Decaf coffee with soy milk.

Lentil Ratatouille. Spinach Salad with Cucumber and Tomato. Garlic Focaccia bread.

Granola with Rice Milk.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts, Mushroom and Garlic over Couscous.Cucumber and Pepper with hummus


Cowboy Bean Dip in corn tortilla with chips, salsa and more beans on the side

 Cowboy Bean Dip over mixed greens. Zucchini and Hummus on the side.

 I'm looking forward to what the next couple of weeks brings. There are literally hundreds of fruits and vegetables out there!! I'm excited about trying out other new vegan recipes.

Do you eat meat or dairy? Have you seen Forks over Knives?

2 comments:

  1. Shoot. That food looks awesome. I'm interested in this film; definitely going to have to check it out. But as a person who is highly allergic to soy, I'm too lazy to try going veg without it ;) Does the movie cover the organic/cage-free/veg diet meat products? I'm clinging to those as my safety net...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It talks about meat products in general- really doesn't distinguish the more 'free' meats to regular ones. I think it's possible to be plant-based without soy...you probably just learn to give up 'meaty' type substances. Like I said...I'm giving it a go. So far, I feel pretty awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete