10.31.2013

Fall Harvest Meal: Fall Harvest & Bean Soup (23/31)

The vegetables in my fridge have been in abundance lately.
It's the end of the produce season and my CSA loot has been incredible.
I had a bunch of veggies to use and cold, chilly fall day on my hand.
I could only think of one thing I wanted.
Soup.


Fall Harvest & Bean Soup
2 cups fingerling potatoes (sliced)
1 sweet potato (sliced)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
onion
garlic
2 bell peppers
6 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado
Juice of half a lime
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (some set aside for garnish)


  1. Slice onion and chop garlic. Saute in a stockpot until soft.
  2. Add chopped bell peppers. (I added some sweet Italian frying peppers I got in my CSA as well for a little extra)
  3. Add chopped tomatoes and potatoes and simmer while you open, drain and rinse beans. Then add those as well. 
  4. Simmer soup covered until potatoes are able to be pierced with a fork.
  5. In a food processor (or blender), puree avocado with lime juice. 
  6. Still mixture into soup along with chopped cilantro. 
  7. Serve hot. Garnish with mashed avocado and chopped cilantro.


This was a food experiment that just happened to go right. And one I plan on making again this season.




It goes perfect with rainy days, chilly temps and cozy blankets. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment