5.17.2011

All About Me (The Birthday Blog)

Around 8:30 AM today, I officially turned 28 years of age. I have been considering starting a blog for awhile now and I figured today was the perfect day to start.
I look at each birthday a little like New Years. I make goals. Revaluate where I've been and where I'm headed. Take stock of life.
So...in the spirit of all that is new and birthdayesqe- I'm going to share 28 things about me:

1. Around age 12, I had written in a journal that I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. I recently stumbled upon this journal and it was what inspired me to write a blog.
2. My boyfriend is my best friend. He's the most genuine and selfless person I've ever met. He inspires me to be the best person I can be. And- he helped me come up with the name of this blog. Kudos to you, T. I <3 you.
3. I live in a great neighborhood, Beaverdale, in the heart of Des Moines with my dog, Roxy. I've lived in this house for 6 years- the longest I've stayed in one place in my adult life.
4. I work as a Financial Consultant for a national financial services company. It's okay. It pays the bills.
5. I love music. It's amazing how a song can transport you to a memory. Or move you to feeling even if the lyrics are about nothing you've ever experienced. I find music so inspiring, beautiful and lovely.
6. I'm an overachiever. Through and through. I'm my toughest critic and sometimes overly so. It's an endearing quality that has to be reigned in occasionally.
7. I have learned more about myself in the past two years than I think most people do in a lifetime. I believe in self-analysis on a regular basis.
8. I can sit down to read a book and not get up for hours. The capability of the written word to suck you into a story, a place, a time, a feeling- confounds me. I wish I had the talent to write like that.
9. I'm a runner. I ran my first half-marathon last year and am training for my first full marathon in October.
10. I'm sort of a health nut. I try to eat whole, unprocessed food as much as possible. I'm also a big believer in eating local and organic.
11. Two years ago, a typical lunch for me was a G2, 3 or 4 cigarettes and some Starbursts. I sort of did a whole lifestyle overhaul (see #s 9 & 10).
12. My dream job is to open a coffee shop/music venue that showcases locally-grown foods, fair trade coffees and local artists. I have a name, marketing scheme and design layout already. It's serious, folks. :)
13. I like to travel. I think it is fun to visit new places and immerse in the culture, even if it's just for a day or two. It makes life interesting.
14. I'm a horrible liar. I have a guilty conscience. Everyone that knows me- knows this about me. I don't even like telling a white lie. Makes my stomach churn. So please don't ask me what I think of your outfit or new hair unless you want a super honest opinion.
15. I LOVE lists. I cannot stress this enough. I keep lists of what I've read, concerts I've been to and things I want to accomplish. I also keep multiple calendars....can you say type A??
16. I have a thing for memorabilia. I take pictures of everything and save scraps of things to remind me of specific travels, music shows and even just extra special times spent with loved ones. Someday I'd like to scrapbook/organize all this stuff. For now, it takes up space in various boxes and journals.
17. I have too many hobbies. I know how to knit, crotchet, scrapbook. I read, exercise, cook and garden occasionally. And now- blog. :)
18. I'm working on a life list. (see #15). Its a comprehensive list of all the things, big and small, I've always wanted to do. This topic will be revisited again in a very near post.
19. I'm realizing telling 28 things about myself is quite revealing....wow.
20. I have 2 sisters, a step sister, a step brother, 4 nieces and 3 nephews. They are all fun, unique and crazy. But I guess that's every family.
21. In the past year, I found God again and joined a local church. It's been nothing short of  a life-changing experience for me. I still have a lot to learn, but knowing God makes me feel on solid ground. It comforts me.
22. I almost named this blog 'Insatiable Desire' because I was going to talk about food a lot. HA. Then I realized that I have SO much to talk about besides food: relationships, music, doing what you love, books, finding peace in life, coffee, family, love...the list goes on. Get ready.
23. I have 5 tattoos. The most recent one is a Dali painting on my shoulder 'Galatea of the Spheres.' It makes me happy. I already know what my next two are going to be. It's a habit.
24. I love to learn. I've been out of school for a couple years now and I miss being in that environment. I started a book club that has turned into a social group where we get together to discuss what we're reading, current events, etc and it's awesome.
25. I live to talk. I think there is something to be said for being a great conversationalist.
26. It's taken me a lot of years and a lot of failed relationships -both romantic and not- to realize that I'm a person worthy of something good. Everyone deserves good in their life. Don't ever think otherwise.
27. Besides being a writer, when I was a kid, I also wanted to be a doctor. Or a model. As you can see, I'm a girl of many interests (#s 17 & 22 corroborate this).
28. When I'm lying on my deathbed someday, hopefully not too soon, my wish is to look back on my life and see that happiness was all around.

There you have it. A glimpse into what makes me Nicole. I'm off to enjoy a day full of all the things I love: a good run, a little shopping and good food with my favorite person. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment